Today, the remains of medieval Cetinje can be identified in the central town zone: at C ipur, where the remains of the Crnojevic monastery are found and at the site of the new Cetinje monastery built on the ruins of the Crnojevic court.
Retreating from the Turks, Ivan Crnojevic built a court in Cetinje in 1482, and two years later, in 1484, a monastery dedicated to the Nativity of the Virgin, transferring there the see of the Zeta bishopric.
The Crnojevic court has not survived. Its ruins had been repeatedly mentioned until the mid 17th century. In 1701, Bishop Danilo Petrovic built a new Cetinje monastery on these ruins. The only reference to the appearance of the court can be found in an engraving from Oktoih of the Fifth Voice (Cyrillic incunabula), printed in Cetinje at the end of 1494. The engraving depicts the court as a fortified edifice, a typical feudal fortification with high defensive walls, towers and lookout posts.
In 1692, the Turks razed to the ground the Crnojevic monastery at Cipur. The original plan of the monastery, prior to its destruction, had been designed by the Venetian engineer Giovanni Francesco Barbieri. From the preserved monastery plan, we can see that it had a character of a fortified entity, as well. At the site of the destroyed monastery, prince Nikola built a royal church in 1886. Following archeological research, the monastery remains discovered in the vicinity of the present church have been conserved and exhibited.