Ruined towns or towns with uncertain locations
In Plav, on a rise above the lake there is a settlement called «Grad» (town). Historical sources made reference of Plav only in the Middle Ages, although, according to A. Evans, a Roman settlement had existed nearby. Plav was mentioned in 1282-1298 as a region-district. Today, at the mentioned site, in the small town of Plav it is difficult to find anything that could be from the Middle Ages, except maybe for a wall at whose end a tower could have existed, judging by the terrain configuration. Only from the terrain configuration, it is possible to discern other walls of the former small town. The present-day town of Plav probably developed as a suburb below the fortification.
GRADAC (MENTIONED BY PORPHYROGENITUS)
In his work De administrando imperio emperor Constantine Porphyrogenitus mentions G??deta? (gradac – grades) as one of the three inhabited Slavic towns in Doklea. Jirecek believes that Gradac and Starigrad are one town and that name Gradac refers to Budva. We cannot exclude possibility that this Gradac is identical with the remains of that name situated on a hill near Berane.
Lastva is the present-day Petrovac situated between Budva and Bar. It was referred to as the settlement of «Lastua» in the «Chronicle of the priest of Doclea». Supposedly, a fortification was built here later, which we cannot trace today. As Božic states «twenty-five families in Lastova (Kastel Lastva, a fortification by the sea –the present-day Petrovac) served under Balša III...».
The emperor Constantine Porphyrogenitus in his work «De administrando imperio» mentions t????? ( ?????? - Lug as an inhabited settlement in Doklea. The exact location of Lug has not been established. Žabljak of the Crnojevics could be former Lug, because its position in the district of Podlužje and the proximity of a Podlug locality, give foundation to this assumption.
One of the three inhabited towns in Doklea mentioned by the emperor Constantine Porphyrogenitus in his «De administrando imperio» was t? ??????de- Novigrad. The town location has not been established. P. Skok identifies it with Sveti Stefan, and Jirecek with Prevlaka in Boka Kotorska. Neither in Sveti Stefan nor in Prevlaka, have any remains been found to confirm these hypotheses.
NOVI IN PIVA
The town of Novi, first mentioned in 1444 by the Aragon king Alfonse V, used to be situated near Pišac, in the district of Piva. The town remains have not been found either near Pišac, or at the confluence of the Sinjac and Komarnica Rivers, where the tradition locates it. However, the district of Piva has not been thoroughly researched, especially the upper flow of the river. In confirmation of such positioning of Novi, we can state long distances without secure overnight shelter between Onogošt and Stabna, as well as between Onogošt and Pirlitor. Novi could have been situated somewhere in the middle of the territory between the mentioned towns, which coincides with the upper Piva and Komarnica.
It is situated in the Upper Zeta (Zeta Superior). The town of Ostrog is mentioned in 1441 as the property of Duke Stjepan and it is found in other 15th-century charters, as well. The 1444 charter of king Alfonse V mentions «Ostroch, castello con lo contato ali confini de Albania». Although the sources mention it quite specifically and locate it near the later Ostrog monastery, its position has not been identified with certainty. We cannot exclude the possibility that the later monastery was built on the town remains.
It is situated on the Luštica peninsula, near the entrance to the Boka Kotorska. The emperor Constantine Porphyrogenitus mentioned it as the town which suffered ravages and plunder by the Saracens in AD 841, together with Budva and Lower Kotor . However, if we accept a hypothesis that the Roman road through Boka Kotorska was leading via Rose and Luštica to Budva, then Rose could be found in the 4th-century Peutinger Table as Resinum and in Ptolemy's map as ??s????. Similarly, we can accept as truth a hypothesis that from 1271 on Rose was an Episcopal residence. On the terrain, in the present-day Rose, except for the remains of a church object, no other architectural remains from the Middle Ages have been discovered.
It is situated in the valley of a small river Brzava, the Lim left tributary, southeast of Bijelo Polje. It is not mentioned in the sources. On the terrain, a naturally «fortified» smaller massif, probably used in the Middle Ages, is found. There are just scarce traces of building activity, so that it cannot be included with certainty among the medieval towns.
It was situated in the Boka Kotorska, but its exact position has not been established. The castle of Traiectus or Traietto was mentioned in the Chronicle of the priest of Doclea, as well as in 1167 agreement between people of Kotor and Omiš. The opinions on the exact location of Traiectusa differ: Trašte, Prevlaka near Tivat and a site on the north side of the entrance to the Boka Kotorska bay are mentioned as prospective locations. It is possible that the town of Herceg Novi developed later at the site of Traiectus.